We’ve just finished our condo’s 2nd AGM. The proceedings reminded me of a few things…
We may stay in a condo but people’s mentality can be categorized as follow:
- Easily manipulated by other owners who’re seeking self-benefit
- Completely ignorant of events or progress. They seem lost in time…somewhere
- People who take ownership of the condo (not only their own unit but the condo) contributing ideas, time and even finances
- People who promote communication, cooperation, understanding
- People who act constructively instead of just criticizing
- People who thinks the whole world owes them…in this case, the condo and all it’s related parties – management, committee, other owners/residents
- People who thinks they’re absolute KING and only he/she is right (all the time)
- Finger pointing – Blaming game – everything is everybody’s fault
It seems the person who complaints the most are the least likely to contribute their time/energy. All they do is demand, demand & demand. Where is the giving?
As a former founding JMB Chairman in my condo and an owner/resident, I have the unique perspective of both resident & service provider. Is it easy to serve? NO. Whatever we do, no matter how excellent it is, there will always be a dissatisfied owner/resident – the Chumps & Desperados. They assume or should I say hold on to the belief that Management and Committee has control and responsibility over everything – common area, the inside units and even the public roads.
Of course there’re the low-cost flat minded people – they hand their clothes out the window, along the corridor, on balconies, leave their stuff all over the 5-foot ways, etc. If you wish to act like a flat dweller, stay in a flat. Condo is condo. Flat is flat. Have some respect for fellow owners/residents.
So if you’re a condo dweller, remember this – the condominium is the responsibility of all; not just the management or committee. Don’t ask why, why, why – Ask what can I do to contribute? Don’t complaint – Give feedback/ideas.
Wishing you a peaceful and exciting condo dwelling